Superfund Site Profile
The 250-acre site is located in a residential and industrial area in the City of Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida. The site includes the former Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary School, a Jacksonville Electric Authority (JEA) electrical substation, and single-family homes and multi-family apartment complexes, which include low-income residents. From the late 1940s until the mid-1950s, the City of Jacksonville operated a landfill at the site and disposed of ash from municipal incinerators there. The City closed the landfill in 1953 and Duval County School Board obtained the property in 1955 through condemnation for construction of a school. During this time, development of the land surrounding the landfill for homes and apartment complexes took place. Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary School closed in 2001.