Superfund Site Profile
The 433-acre Macon Naval Ordnance Plant site is located in Macon, Georgia. From 1941 until 1965, the U.S. Navy conducted ordnance manufacturing and metal plating at the site. In 1965, Maxon Electronics Company purchased the site property and continued ordnance manufacturing until it sold the property to Allied Chemical Corporation in 1973. Allied Chemical Corporation made seat belts at the site from 1973 until 1981. Much of the site was purchased by Macon-Bibb County in 1980.
Macon-Bibb County Industrial Authority (MBCIA) has operated Allied Industrial Park on the site property since 1980. MBCIA leases or sells on-site buildings for commercial use, including several of the old Navy buildings. Other businesses have built new facilities since 1980. Guy Paine Road borders the site to the north, while the Armstrong World Industries Superfund site borders the site to the west. Macon Water Authority Rocky Creek Water Reclamation Facility, Rocky Creek, and the former Remote Landfill used by both Armstrong and the Navy border the site to the south. Mead Road and Norfolk Southern railroad tracks border the site to the east.
During the site's operational history, improper handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances resulted in contamination of ground water, surface water, soil, and sediment. These materials included explosive compounds, chemicals used during ordnance manufacturing and metal plating operations, and other wastes.
As a Formerly Used Defense (FUD) site, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) conducted several investigations in the 1990s, including ground water, surface water, soil, and sediment sampling. Further work by the USACE was halted when it became apparent that other parties beside the U.S. Navy were potentially responsible for the contamination found at the site.
TOPICS IN FOCUS
If you need documents that are not yet 508 compliant, please contact the National 508 Coordinator, Dorothy Semazzi, at Semazzi.Dorothy@epa.gov.