Superfund Site Profile
The Belvidere Municipal Landfill site is located near Belvidere, Illinois, just west of the city limits. The City of Belvidere owned and operated a municipal landfill on site from 1939 to 1965. From 1965 to 1973, the city retained ownership while private contractors operated the landfill. The city closed the landfill in 1973. Industrial wastes in the landfill contaminated a drum disposal area and groundwater. In addition, site investigations found the landfill cover was inadequate in some areas and the contaminants posed a threat to surface water and groundwater. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities as well as gas vent and groundwater monitoring are ongoing.