Superfund Site Profile
The 435-acre Avenue “E” Ground Water Contamination site is located in Grand Traverse County, Michigan. The United States Department of the Navy (Navy) initially operated an Air Station at the site beginning in 1943, until the United States Coast Guard (USCG) assumed control in 1945. In the maintenance and servicing of aircraft, the USCG and the Navy routinely used oils, lubricants, paints, paint stripping solvents, aviation gasoline and dry cleaning solvents. Direct dumping, chemical spills and storage leaks contaminated groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities were completed. EPA took the site off the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL) in 2007.