Superfund Site: NATIONAL PRESTO INDUSTRIES, INC., EAU CLAIRE, WI
Superfund Site Profile
The 320-acre National Presto Industries, Inc. (NPI) site lies almost entirely within the city of Eau Claire and abuts the town of Hallie, Wisconsin. The United States Government War Assets Administration owned the site from the early 1940s to 1947. Government contractors manufactured radar tubes and ordnance chemicals at the facility until 1945. NPI purchased the property from the federal government in 1947 and made household appliances, outboard motors and defense-related products. By 1954, operations were entirely defense-related; NPI manufactured artillery shells. After limited production between 1959 and 1965, NPI again manufactured artillery shells on site from 1966 to 1980. Facility operations contaminated soil and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Following construction of the site’s cleanup, groundwater treatment and operation and maintenance activities are ongoing.