Superfund Site Profile
The 183-acre site is located at 1610 Moorland Road. It consists of two sludge lagoons near the treatment plant facilities south of the city of Madison. Land use to the northwest is commercial and industrial, while to the west and southwest land use is primarily residential.
The Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District has operated the Nine Springs Wastewater Treatment Plant since 1933. In April 1970, a portion of the north dike of Lagoon 2 collapsed, and about 85 million gallons of its contents were released into a nearby ditch. A facilities plan, prepared in the mid-1970s, recommended reusing lagoon sludge by recycling and spreading it over agricultural land. In 1982, analysis of a sludge sample from the lagoons showed high levels of polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs. The site was added to the Superfund list in 1990.
Under a 1992 legal agreement with EPA, MMSD studied the site. A final cleanup plan to reduce risk of exposure to PCB-contaminated sludge was approved in 1997. MMSD worked on the cleanup from 1998 to 2001 as directed in a 1998 legal agreement. It included a soil and fabric cover for the lagoons and a new dike. Sludge with low levels of PCBs was used in the MMSD agricultural program until 2000.