PEOPLES GAS LIGHT & COKE - DIVISION ST
Superfund Site Profile
The 15-acre Division Street Station Former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) site (Division Street site) is located at 1241 West Division Street in Chicago, Illinois.
Built in 1883 as a gas production and storage facility, the Division Street Station MGP was the first MGP in Chicago built exclusively for the production of water gas. Underground MGP structures included storage tanks, oil tanks, tar tanks and tar settling tanks. Aboveground MGP structures included condensers, shaving scrubbers, oil tanks and light oil washers. Gas production at the plant ended before aboveground MGP structures were dismantled and removed in 1962. Site activities led to ...
Continue reading background »