Superfund Site Profile
The CMC Heartland Partners Lite Yard site is at the northwest corner of Hiawatha Avenue and 28th Street on the eastern edge of the Phillips neighborhood. The company made and stored pesticides there from 1938 to 1968. High levels of arsenic were found in soil and ground water at the site in 1994, during a project to rebuild the Hiawatha Avenue corridor. State health and environmental officials determined the contamination came from the CMC Heartland Partners Lite Yard. In September 2007, EPA added the South Minneapolis Residential Soil Contamination Site to its National Priorities List. The cleanup’s final phase ran from 2009 to 2011. In this phase, ARRA funds helped EPA finish its work ahead of schedule and make the South Minneapolis area safer for residents.
For a decade, the wind blew arsenic contamination from a pesticide plant operating at the CMC Heartland Partners Lite Yard property into the historic Phillips, Longfellow and Powderhorn neighborhoods in south Minneapolis. People there didn't learn until the mid-1990s that their families might be at risk from the arsenic. State and federal government cooperation, and a boost from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, turned this diverse neighborhood into a cleaner, safer place. It is an ARRA success story.
It was the $20 million in ARRA funds that helped the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency complete the residential cleanup a year ahead of schedule. EPA used ARRA and other funds to clean up more than 600 properties with unsafe levels of arsenic. EPA removed over 50,000 tons of contaminated soil.