Superfund Site Profile
The 235-acre Sand Springs Petrochemical Complex site is located one mile south of Sand Springs in Tulsa County, Oklahoma. The site is located on the north bank of the Arkansas River. The area was the location of Pierce Petroleum Refinery and Sinclair Refining Company operations from the early 1900s to 1948. A variety of other industries operated on site beginning in 1953. Facility operations contaminated soil and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Following emergency actions to protect human health and the environment, and construction of the site’s long-term remedy, EPA took the site off the Superfund program’s National Priorities List (NPL) in 2000. Operation and maintenance activities and monitoring are ongoing.