Superfund Site: CONROE CREOSOTING CO.
Superfund Site Profile
The Conroe Creosoting Company site is located in Conroe, Texas, about 30 miles north of Houston. Wood-treating operations took place at the site from 1946 to 1997. Facility activities and waste management practices contaminated soil, sediment and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Following construction of the site’s remedy, operation and maintenance activities are ongoing.
An independent review team is conducting an optimization review of the selected remedial action for the site. Recommendations from the optimization review are based on an evaluation and analysis of existing site information, represent the technical views of the optimization review team and are intended to help the site team identify opportunities for improvements in the current site remediation strategy. EPA is beginning the planning phase to implement recommendations from the optimization report.
EPA continues to implement the long-term ground water monitoring program which began in November 2005. Results from the ground water monitoring program are used to assess the natural attenuation of pentachlorophenol in the shallow aquifer. A landfill constructed at the Site is securely fenced, has locked gates, and is marked with signs. TCEQ completed repairs to the landfill cover over the RCRA vault containing the contaminated soils and sediments from the site.
The Conroe Site is a former wood-treating facility located at 1776 E. Davis Street, Conroe, Montgomery County, Texas. The former wood-treating facility occupies approximately 147 acres and operated from 1946 until March 1997. The Site is fenced and borders residential property to the east, State Highway 105 to the south, and forested land to the west and north. The facility consisted of two process areas, one tank area, two kilns, a re-work area, a vehicle maintenance shop, boiler, lumber shed, a pole machine, two fuel pumps, an office, a sales office, and a retail office along with several storage sheds and storage areas prior to a removal action conducted by the .
Three wood preserving processes were used at the facility, including pentachlorophenol (PCP), creosote, and copper chromated arsenate (CCA). The PCP and creosote wood preserving processes used pressure to force a solution of PCP or creosote dissolved in diesel into the wood. The CCA treatment process is water based and occurs at ambient pressures. The treated wood was then allowed to dry on a drip pad. Treatment residues from these processes were scraped from the drying pad for shipment off-site. The facility was closed down by the Montgomery County Tax Assessor/Collector in March 1997, due to delinquent taxes.
In September 2002, the EPA started a time-critical removal action of on-site structures and soils. All the contaminated material, soils, sediments, and solidified wastes were placed inside an on-site Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA) vault. A total of 252,000 cubic yards of contaminated material was placed inside the vault.
The Record of Decision (ROD), signed on September 29, 2003, set forth the selected remedy for the site, which includes monitored natural attenuation of the contaminants in the ground water, no further action for the on-site soils and offsite sediments, long-term maintenance of the RCRA vault, and placement of institutional controls.
EPA completed the Second Five-Year Review for the Site on September 27, 2013. The Second Five-Year Review determined that the remedy for on-site soils and off-site sediment is protective of human health and the environment because the waste has been removed and contained. The remedy for ground water is protective of human health and the environment in the short term because there is no evidence that there is current exposure, and the remedy is being implemented as planned to reduce the volume of contamination and to control migration.
National Priorities Listing (NPL) History
NPL Inclusion Proposal Date: April 30, 2003
NPL Inclusion Final Date: September 22, 2003
Location: The Site is located in Conroe, Montgomery County, approximately 30 miles north of Houston, Texas.
Population: Aproximately 15,000 people live within two miles of the site.
Setting: The site consists of 147 acres and is a former wood treating facility. There is a residential community to the east, a wooded area to the north, and commercial activities to the west and south. The shallow water-bearing zone is 60 feet deep and is currently not being used. The first water-bearing zone used for domestic supply is 125 feet deep. The City of Conroe water supply is 400 to 1000 feet below the surface.