Superfund Site Profile
The Shaw Avenue Dump site is located on the southeastern edge of the Cedar River in the Charles City, Iowa. The site is owned by the city of Charles City and occupies approximately 24 acres which is within or near the area of the 100-year floodplain of the Cedar River.
Prior to 1949, the site was used as a landfill/dump for an unknown amount of time and continued to be used as such through 1964. From 1949 to 1953, a veterinary pharmaceuticals company disposed of an estimated 14,000 to 28,000 cubic feet of arsenic-contaminated solid waste in two areas in the northern half of the site and an estimated 10,000 tons of sludges between 1949 and 1964 in the northern waste cells and also in an undefined area of the southern portion of the site. Characterization of the disposal cells containing wastes indicated the presence of significant concentrations of arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead and volatile and semi-volatile organic compounds (VOCs and SVOCs). Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities and monitoring are ongoing.