Superfund Site Profile
The Fairfield Coal Gasification Plant Site occupies one city block between West Burlington and West Washington avenues in Fairfield, Iowa. The plant produced a natural gas substitute from coal between 1878 and 1950. Iowa Electric Light and Power has owned and operated the plant since 1917. Since 1950, the utility has used the area as an operations facility. Plant operations contaminated soil and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. In 1989, Iowa Electric found that the foundation for a gas holder was the main source of the groundwater contamination. The gas holder was removed and destroyed in the 1950s; wastes were dumped or left in place. Following soil cleanup, operation and maintenance activities are ongoing to address groundwater contamination.