Superfund Site: WAVERLY GROUND WATER CONTAMINATION
Superfund Site Profile
The Waverly Groundwater Contamination Site extends over an 11-acre area underlying the city of Waverly, Nebraska. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) operated a federal grain facility in Waverly from 1952 to 1974. A grain fumigant consisting of carbon tetrachloride and carbon disulfide was used at the facility from 1955 to 1965. Since 1975, the property has been owned by Lancaster County, which operates a district office and maintenance facility on the premises. EPA and the State of Nebraska sampled municipal wells in 1982 and found them to be contaminated with carbon tetrachloride. One well was taken out of service, two wells were placed on standby status, and the City of Waverly drilled new wells to replace them. The area surrounding the site is predominantly agricultural. The population of Waverly is approximately 1,900 people. The site was listed on the National Priority List (NPL) in June 1986.