Superfund Site: OGDEN DEFENSE DEPOT (DLA), OGDEN, UT
Superfund Site Profile
The Ogden Defense Depot (DLA) site is located in Weber County, Utah, about 40 miles north of Salt Lake City. Activated in 1941, this former military installation served as a warehousing and distribution facility. Ogden Defense Depot was one of seven warehousing and distribution depots operated nationwide by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). At one time, it served as a storage and distribution facility for medical, industrial, construction and electronic supplies as well as food, clothing and petroleum products for military installations and other federal agencies. In 1964, the facility was renamed the Defense Distribution Depot Ogden, Utah (DDOU). Other items that may have been stored at DDOU in the past include containers of mustard gas and chemical warfare agent identification kits. Until the late 1970s, facility operations included on-site disposal of liquid and solid materials, incineration of oily liquid materials and combustible solvents in on-site burning pits, and burning and burial of solid wastes. These activities contaminated soil and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Following cleanup, operation and maintenance activities are ongoing.