CASTLE AIR FORCE BASE (6 AREAS)
Superfund Site Profile
The 2,777-acre former Castle Air Force Base (CAFB) was originally the location of an aircrew training facility. Wastes generated were disposed of on site from 1941 until 1977, when the base was officially closed. Facility operations contaminated soil and groundwater with hazardous chemicals. Construction of the site’s long-term remedy finished in 2006, and the property was transferred to other governmental agencies. Currently, a commercial airport and a federal prison are located on the site.